Friday, February 17, 2006

Canada Beckons


Two days ago I stumbled upon Jim Paredes’ blog about moving to Australia. My first reaction was, hey, we mirror each other’s reasons for deciding to pack and ship out. The difference is that Jim has reached that point – packing and shipping out – whilst we are still debating against ourselves whether we should pursue immigrating or not. Okay, I must be confusing you. We are landed Canadian immigrants. We got our passports stamped, secured our Canadian Social Security number, enrolled in British Columbia’s medical insurance program, opened Canadian bank accounts, etc. But that’s all we did in as far as migrating is concerned. We went back to Manila right after processing our papers, using the 3 years we have before we are required to stay in BC to re-think, re-consider and weigh all our options.


A lot of people would probably say, “Are you nuts, so many are dying to get approved and here you are entertaining doubts?” I relent. We are indeed blessed to have options available to us. But we can’t have our cake and eat it too, right? These same options are making it difficult for us to decide. Why go back to the floor when you are already in a comfortable, even luxurious, bed? Up to what extent should one sacrifice a secure present in exchange for an unknown future? Must we go back to A when we are already in V? It will not be an easy decision, especially for Do. Even though I admit I am for Canada, I fully understand my husband’s concerns and will not try to influence his decision beyond providing “what if” scenarios. I will play the devil’s advocate – or probably I am really the angel in disguise? – for as long as he needs me to. Anyway, we still have until the last quarter of this year to decide.

1 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't!
uwi na kayo!
we don't want to read about luis growing up!

sige na, uwi na kayo...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home