Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Musical Grease

The first time I saw it was in the 80’s, in the movie starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. I remembered it long after because of its songs. Who to this day are not familiar with, or have not heard at least, the songs Hopelessly Devoted to You, Summer Nights, Greased Lightnin’, We Go Together, You’re The One That I Want?

Last Saturday we had the chance to watch its musical version at Chungmu Art Hall, starring an all-Broadway casts and produced by its current Broadway producers, Phoenix Entertainment. We went to see the matinee and actually heaved a sigh of relief upon seeing there are others, not just us, who came to see the show. We had second thoughts about watching because when we asked Do’s secretary to purchase us the tickets, she reported back in surprise that almost all seats were still available considering we’re buying only a week before our chosen date. She even faintly hinted we can refund if we want. The venue was actually almost full. Not a bad showing for a matinee.


The stage setup was very ordinary. I can readily name a few ‘improvements’ that will hardly have a dent on the producers’ profits – if I am asked. The production also failed, in my opinion, to make the casts look like the teenagers they were supposed to portray. Some really appeared as trying-hard-to-be-young-again wannabees, looking more like mothers of the teenagers they were portraying. Couldn’t they find young talents that they should use older ones and try and pass them off as teenagers by using the magic of makeup? Or was it just that, a failure on the part of the make up artist? They definitely look younger in their profile photos. Jamey Isenor as Danny Zuko is much too big and muscular for a much too small Hanna Liina Vosa’s Sandy. Laurie Taylor would have been a better Sandy, which made me wonder why she wasn’t considering she played the role in the US.

What compensated for these shortcomings is the singing. Oh but they’re really good. They sang with such ease you’d think everybody is naturally gifted in singing. And their voice quality and voice power are amazing. Hanna Liina made me think of Lea Salonga. Too bad I can’t remember if I really saw Lea portray Sandy before in a full musical, or it was just a pigment of my imagination (har, har, har). But I did saw Lea in They’re Playing Our Song and Miss Saigon.


Overall, it was a good watch. And, I understood for the first time that “greased lightnin’” is actually Roger’s car. Funny, though, that what made an impact on me – as in made me reminisce a little about my own high school days -- is not Danny and Sandy’s love story, but Patty’s running for the student body! Am I really getting old? Could getting old really be that bad? Oh, oh, oh….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home