Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Scary!

Luis and I were walking towards Riverside Point for a boat ride (Singapore River Cruise) yesterday afternoon shortly before 5PM when a man blocked our way from out of nowhere, and asked for money. He said he was so hungry and didn't have a job at the moment. I had goose bumps all over my body right away. I scanned around, very discreetly, for signs of other people -- anyone -- who could help us should the man turn out to be more than a beggar, but found nobody! At the same time my mind was racing to think of things to say to the stranger to keep him occupied while I think of what to do (to give or not to give). I only had my coin purse with me at the time, with only a $2 & $50 bill in it. I was thinking giving him $2 might insult him, but I would hate to part with my $50 because my son was so looking forward to his boat ride. I saw flashes of gruesome holdup scenarios in my mind. My mommy instinct told me to give, give right away, or the stranger might just go berserk, pick up my son and hurl him out into the river behind me. In a split second I decided to hand him the $2 bill while apologizing for not having more to give. I was soooo relieved when he took the money, thanked me, and strode away. Whew!

******


Four nights prior to this scary experience, I brought a visiting friend to the same place for coffee and a boat ride. This picture was taken at the same spot where the man stopped us, and before I was reminded scary things can happen anywhere :( even at the most unexpected places.

5 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger wandering storyteller said...

pepper spray. too risky not to carry =(

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger lala said...

you're right! i should get one right away. btw, have you watched The Devil Wears Prada? (hmmm...anne)

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT??? my heart was racing just reading this! darn! get a bodyguard!!! enroll luis in karate lessons! and swimming lessons!!!

and to answer your question on my blog, i'm not too proud of that blog kasi e, di na kasi ako marunong magsulat ng creative. sobrang kulit lang ni moks na mag-blog ako kaya nabuo yun.

and no, we haven't watched prada yet, although we plan to soon. maganda ba? sabi ng officemate ko, the movie's better than the book daw! (haven't read the book yet either)

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger lala said...

will watch it tonight...will let you know pero i got interested watching it because of good reviews/feedback, esp on Meryl Streep's performance. Not so good feedback on Anne, i'm afraid (sorry Moks)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger wandering storyteller said...

wag ganyan... ann hathaway yan eh ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home