Saturday, August 19, 2006

Where Have I Been?!

I can't believe more than 3 months has passed since I last posted anything in any of my sites. I can't possibly use moving to Singapore as an excuse. We've been here, settled, for more than 2 months already. All the boxes have been unpacked, even the smallest of our knicknacks sorted out. I have my full time maid (yes, I was finally convinced to get one despite my initial decision not to, and you'll know why if you'll keep reading) for almost a month now, so I can't use being swamped with household chores as an excuse as well. That leaves pregnancy hormones as the only possible culprit for my unusual katamaran.

Stranded in Manila
So there you have it. The first of my many updates. We went home to Manila for a one-week vacation prior to moving to Singapore. That's when & where I learned I am 6 weeks pregnant. Unexpectedly Luis and I had to stay behind for 2 more weeks since I needed to go on bedrest. I was totally depressed, thinking at the time I'll have another difficult pregnancy. Thank God after 2 weeks the baby is okay and I can move about (although my OB would have wanted me to stay for one more month, just to be sure). It helped that this is my second already. I somehow know my body more and could tell when I need to stop and relax. I need not stay in bed the whole time after all, and our extended stay proved one of the best vacations Luis has ever had.

Singapore, Our New Home
Thanks to my supportive, organized, husband. By the time Luis and I got to our home in Singapore most of our stuff have been unpacked and sorted out. I actually sent Do a sketch of how our furnishings should be arranged, where to put which item, which he provided to KC Dat and I think that helped a bit in organizing things. The challenge, and I know you will agree, is in sorting out the little things we can't find the heart to throw away thinking that we just might need them in the future. I guess we all have that packrat mentality in each of us. Who knows what we'll need or who will need these little things one day? Better have them some place in the house, space permitting, for future use.

Housekeeping Challenge
The decision to proceed with our move despite my condition was a tough one. Considering my history, my OB would have preferred I stayed in Manila for at least another month. But I was worried that Luis will miss the start of school again, and that there's no one to look after Do's needs. So last May 28 we flew here determined to make things work out. I immediately contracted a part-time maid service to help clean the house and iron clothes once a week. Once a week wasn't enough but I am not willing to pay more than what a once-a-week visit will cost, so I managed by doing a little of every chore myself. Enough to sustain us until the part-timer's next visit. The big challenge is in cooking. I have always said I am not a kitchen person. I can cook out of necessity, and I must say I am not a bad cook at all. But if you'll ask me if I enjoy cooking I'd flatly say no. I'd rather clean the house, wash and iron the clothes, take care of the dishes. The clincher to our decision to get a full time maid is my being pregnant; that we'll most likely need one anyway when I give birth so better find someone now to train and get acquainted with. We found Racquel through a maid agency and so far, she's proving to be one of those good decisions we've made since we moved here.

Pregnancy Privileges, Pregnancy Blues
Now that I have full time help available, I can indulge in what most pregnant women crave -- sleep. I don't have to wake up very early to prepare breakfast. In fact, after breakfast with Do, most days I snuggle back up to bed and wait for Luis to wake up. The thing I enjoy the most now that I have a lot of time is taking care of Luis' needs -- bathing, playing, eating together, outdoor fun. Suddenly I realized he is growing so fast I might wake up one day with protestations of "mommy, i want to bathe myself, i'm a big boy now"! And besides, once our new baby comes who knows how much time I can still devote to both? Luis is also starting school this August (I'll talk about this more in my next entry) and pretty soon, his world will be beyond Mommy and Daddy. Then I might pull my hair in frustration if I don't make the most out of our time together now.

There you have it, in a nutshell. Updating my site would have been much easier had I not forgotten how to do most of the editing. I figured since I was gone for a long time, I should give my site a fresh look in time for my coming back announcement. It might take a while before I am able to put some trimmings again so please make do with what I was able to put up for now. Till next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home