Monday, March 27, 2006

Hectic Hunt

Riding a "london taxi" from Changi Airport to our hotel I immediately felt relieved at the sight and sound of familiar things. Signs that I can read and actually understand, tunes I can sing, brands I recognize. I can even identify with the weather, although Singapore's humidity is a bit higher than Manila's. I immediately fell in love with Singapore. Before we visited to house hunt I was having second thoughts about moving. Separation anxiety perhaps, because I've already made friends in Seoul and has gotten quite fond of spring and fall.
Singapore is like a beautiful, big, resort covered with luscious greeneries and fine architecture. Scouring its streets inspired me to go on and on with the house hunt, despite the heat...and the lure of shopping (discount signs everywhere!).


We saw at total of 10 condominium developments and ended up with 3 in our shortlist. Almost meeting our specifications but not quite as much as we'd have liked. Cuscaden Residences, our first choice, has elegant design and finishings. I particularly like its very modern, minimalist bathroom and the spaciously designed cabinets. If not for its rather small living and dining areas we would have sealed the deal right there and then. If I don't currently have big furnitures I would have still pushed for Cuscaden. That's not the case, however, and if I insist we'll end up having a more of a store room than a house. And oh, I almost forgot there are construction works nearby, which could mean noise all throughout the day. So much for the elegant, minimalist design.


Our second choice, River Place, has a resort-like ambiance, with grounds covered with infinity pools and fountains. The clubhouse and gym are really nice, plus it's idyllically located along the river with jogging and biking paths. Across the river, accessible via a nearby footbridge, are street cafes and quaint shops. The downside is the available unit which although spacious is much too dim (dark, even) for my preference. I have this feeling the dimness will sap our energies and push us to become lazy couch potatoes in no time at all.


The third in our shortlist, Tanglin View, seemed to be "the one"...that is, before we saw the bathrooms. Do just can't stand the tiles used -- both the color and patterns -- plus the rough and rather hurried, unprofessionally done plumbing. So despite the sufficiently large living and dining areas and the brightness of the unit we still can't bring ourselves to make the decision to choose it over the first two. Add to the fact that the unit is on the 17th floor. I can't help but think about Eric Clapton and the story behind his song (...would you know my name if I see you in heaven...would it be the same if I see you in heaven...), despite the agent's assurances that the glass windows are strong enough to resist a 3-year old's assaults.

I wish I have more time to ask around for opinions or look for more options.

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger all4seasons said...

Based on the facts you mentioned, i vote for River Place. If your only reservation for this one is the dimness of the unit, am sure you can find ways to brighten it up. Sarap mag-brisk walking on a cool saturday morning along the riverside! :D Happy house hunting.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger lala said...

salamat sa input! yun lang ang problem, ha ha ha, there's no such thing as "cool" saturday morning sa singapore...puro hot weather lang! anyway, i'm going for River Place na. will keep you all posted :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home