Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Random Musings #1

So near and yet so far. Too many and yet too few. So much time, and yet no time to do what I really want to do. I don't know if there is such a word but I think I am domestically-burnt out.

I complain, I worry, about every little thing I see around the house. Every "failure" in my attempt to be a good mom, a good housewife. Why is it that no matter how much I try to explain to my helper why she needs to hang Luis' shirts instead of putting them in the dryer, the shirts still end up machine dried anyway? And to think that I don't even ask her to "do the machine washing", I do them myself. Only sometimes the wash cycle ends while I am away and she will voluntarily transfer the clothes to the dryer. Her good intentions will then get drowned by her inability to remember my simple instruction on hanging shirts. And why does she insist on hanging clothes for ironing on cabinet doors - make it in all the cabinets' doors - giving you the impression there's a fiesta coming up and banderitas are a must? There are hordes of other little stuff that I should just learn to brush aside, or I'll lose my mind.

***

Did you watch the recent world cup? If yes, then you are familiar with the WAGS. No, not wags as in people who cracks witty jokes. But WAGS as in wives and girlfriends of the players. These wags are known for their fashion-consciousness, their shopping sprees and loud parties. Well, in my son's school there is this kind of wags. Mommies who look like they came straight out of a vogue magazine's page, wearing butterfly sunglasses, dragging their ultra-sized designer bags on their shoulders. There is no way you won't notice them because they stand out among the rest of us creatures from earth. While we keep our chikahan hushed so as not to disturb the classes, they seem not to mind at all the noise they are making as they chatter about their recent escapades (most of the time it's just about shopping, shopping, shopping!). Well, I shouldn't really be concerning myself about them. They seem friendly, afterall. They greet everyone like they are candidates for the local elections.

***

I haven't tried my hands on driving here, although I know I must and soon. I can't seem to picture how I'd work out the distances and the turns when I have to sit on the right side of the car, instead of on the left (they drive right hand here). My husband keeps saying it's not really hard when you get used to it. But I don't know. Maybe I really am the "conscious" driver he is accusing me to be.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger wandering storyteller said...

how about posting instructions on the machine? o sobra na ba? =P

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger lala said...

hay, had them all written down from day 1 -- instructions grouped on a "per subject" basis, e.g. cooking, cleaning, washing -- i can only hope through time she'll learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home