Thursday, March 09, 2006

Goodbye Nappy, Hello Potty


Potty training has been my obsession – and disappointment – for almost a year, until last week. Having relied mainly on parenting books and websites, which on hindsight might not be really wise since they contain only “western” concepts & practices, I never really gave potty-training much thought until Luis turned 2. Somehow I got my mind conditioned to just wait for Luis to show the ‘signs of readiness’; that there was no need for me to ‘start the learning process’. The alarm sounded non-stop when I learned upon our move here in Seoul that schools will not accept Luis unless he’s potty-trained! So the saga of my O.C.-ness to train him began.

I tried all the tips and tricks I could find in books, the internet, and from friends. All to no avail. It’s not that Luis wouldn’t sit or cooperate. He was patient enough to let me read to him while we wait for the ‘big thing’ to come out. Sometimes he would sing while playing with the tissue paper. Other times he plays with his favorite race car. But the task proved more challenging than I initially thought it would be. Months and months passed without success and I reached the point of frustration and despair. Luis grew tired of trying, and wouldn’t want to try and do it in the toilet at all.

So it was totally unexpected when he agreed to sit in the big potty last week to try and do his thing. And it was exhilarating to see him succeed! It just happened. Now he shuns his training pants completely. He does not even wear one anymore when he sleeps at night Bow Down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home