Friday, September 15, 2006

Antisocial or Simple WAGS Evasion?

Has it finally happened? Am I now officially an antisocial? A loner?! All my life my mom complained about me having too many social groups -- at the church, in our community, in school, and then at work. Now all I want to do is find a quiet place, my favorite spot in my favorite Starbucks branch if available, and read.

This afternoon I chanced upon the WAGS (see 9/05 entry). Or maybe I should say the WAGS chanced upon me, since I got to Starbucks first. I was paying for my usual mocha frap decaf when one of them came over with a hearty hello and introduced me to the others. After a minute or 2 of the usual "hi, how are you" and "when are you due" I excused myself and deliberately settled in a spot where they can't follow. I got a small table beside noisy students who are probably doing a group work. I had the notion the WAGS wouldn't want to compete with that kind of noise, so I am probably safe. After a while I saw them took a table some 2 or 3 yards away from me. Alright, I did not completely hide okay? I just don't want to engage in small talks, nor bear the boredom of having to listen to their discussions which will probably be totally alien to me anyway. I also figured they might not want the inconvenience of having to include me in their discussion. And besides, this daily routine is too precious for me. It's my daily private, quiet, time.

If it was me from a long time ago they got to know, they'd probably find themselves a new, if occasional, member, at the very least. Back then I know how to get other people to want to invite and be with me. Now I just don't want that kind of involvement, or obligation. I'll be happy to indulge in 5-minute chitchats in school while waiting for class dismissal, and that's it. Or maybe they're just not the crowd I am looking for? Too early to really tell. I haven't really made friends with anyone or any group in particular here. Luis is invited to a birthday party two sundays from now -- by a Filipino family. I am assuming there'll be lots of other Filipino families there. Then we'll see how I'd react and feel about socializing and establishing friendships again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home