Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Monsters In My Mind

I am seriously considering giving up news reading. I've noted the increasing number of crimes against and by children. Those kinds that will scare moms out of their sanity. Imagine these: a 10 yr. old girl killed her classmate by stabbing him with a scissor on the neck over an argument related to a project; 4 boys aged between 8-11 pushed their classmate to his death from a 3rd floor classroom; teenagers 11-13 open-fired on unsuspecting students at a school in America, killing about 5 before committing suicides themselves. Two days ago a mom from my son's school was telling me how there are all sorts of bullies in local primary schools here (of course it could also be true everywhere else), so the only way for our kids to survive is to master karate or taekwondo. The other month a nanny took off with her 1 year old charge. Police found the child later abandoned in a cafe on the opposite side of the island. What's scary is that the nanny got away with only deportation for punishment, apparently due to plea of insanity!

I realize I am probably only saying this out of panic. For what good will it do me, and my kid(s), if I'll keep us in the dark? The feeling and sense that the world is still safe will then be superficial. But what do you do when you're confronted with these events everyday, when all you really want is the safety, happiness, health and well-being of your loved-ones, particularly your children? The world has gone mad and there are all sorts of things to worry about -- bird flu, SARS, hand-foot-mouth disease, school/juvenile violence, child abuse, water pollution, food poisoning, terrorists bombings, kidnapping. The list could go on and on. Increasingly I am finding myself reminiscing about my own childhood, back when kids can safely play on the streets and on the farm. When indoor games and toys are only resorted to when there's a heavy downpour and we've already spent a good hour playing in the rain.

I wouldn't be surprised if moms in particular are already at this stage wishing kids are stuff they can put in and out of the drawer. Out when it's safe, in when it's not.

My son, Luis, is now 3 1/2. He just started preschool and in his school bus there already exists 5 year old bullies! A few days ago a boy started the horde of them chanting "I don't like Luis" just because my son wouldn't join in their screaming bout. This kid I am talking about spews nothing but the word "stupid" out of his young mouth (e.g. stupid car, stupid animal, stupid uncle).

In 3 more months Lorenzo, our 2nd son, will be due. Then my fears will be doubled. I am praying I'll have the faith -- that God will keep them protected and safe.

7 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

salbaheng mga bata! papatulan ko yan e! how did luis react? :(

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger lala said...

tahimik lang sya...parang walang narinig. of course you can never be sure. at times we think he doesn't mind and then after several days, magugulat na lang kami natandaan nya pala!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hu-waaaaaatttt?????

they dare pick on luis??? aba... pinapagalit ako! next time, sumakay ka dun sa bus, and anyone who even looks at luis, kutusan mo!!!

hehe. joke siyempre, pero nanggigil talaga ko ha. and i agree with that other mom, it's best if you enroll luis in some martial arts class.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

:)

Lala, first off, goodluck with Lorenzo.

Like what I used to say, no news is good news here in the Philippines. The only good news can only come from your physician.

Cheers!

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you should stop reading the newspapers then. It makes you panic, and thus it attracts you to things you do not want..

Why dont you visualize a "happy, safety place" for your kid... and then it will happen in reality... Enjoy your life... dont worry, be happy ;p

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Bryan Anthony the First said...

there's this thing in australia where they "incarcerate" the parents of school bullies... ala lang just a thought

the best of health lala!

woof!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger lala said...

hi bryan...talaga? isn't that "barking at the wrong tree"? still, interesting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home